Print this ??? - Now for sale!

Hi guys, some websites are based around events, blogs, and etc. the information is sometime vital to members. So I thought I would try and see what this community thought about this being included in the mooSocial script.

The idea is to wrap a print div around any event, blog, recipe, topic, etc. This will allow your members to easily print a “printer friendly” copy of the webpage without menus, etc. Members sometimes only need the “good content” from a webpage to take with them to and event or for future reference.

You may even want to add your site logo or as a logo-watermark over the whole content.

I have asked this before but Ryan said mooSocial had no plans in the near future to have this option.

Just think for a moment; all good bloggers have a printer friendly option.

Please leave a comment if you like the idea and a thumb-up is always most welcome!

UPDATE!

Okay, this is a new update. I have found a better way to get this to work... so you only need to add a little code to your default.ctp file.

The print function works using jQuery. When a topic, blog, or any page loads it will add the printer friendly link to the drop-menu. You can then click and print the page contents.

There is no need to change or edit any plug-ins. Very simple code to add.

Below are some screen-shots. I have added the grey background to the contents of the page showing the printable area using a wrap around div element for this example.

When I click the printer friendly link. The screen will change and removes menus, sidebars, padding, time-stamps. Then it will adds new padding and the text will justifys for a cleaner look. Also in this example I have added my watermark logo which is a 800x800px png @ 32.4kb - 10 percent opacity / transparency; very fast to load. You could add so much more if you wanted too.

All done with a little CSS jQuery. Only 20 lines of code with the watermark logo. Can be even less with minify. No foot print at all.

Posted in Feature Suggestions on 03/31/16 at 06:05
Comments (37)
Layla  
@Eddie thanks, I'll do something creative with post_content class.

I don't gonna use jquery, instead that I'll do it CSS way using @media print { } and hide all divs excluding post_content and offcourse change margins and background #fff
Eddie  
You could do that but its a lot longer to do for every possible combo. I tried it this way but found it was so much easier to use jQurey and faster lol. Plus with any update it will still work on all plug-ins. Good luck anyway... maybe you can post your result here.
Eddie  
Now been updated for ver.2.4.0 and works better than ever!

Now only four lines of code with two being comments in one file... for sale if you can't wait for ver.2.4.1
Eddie  
Got it down to one line of code now.
Mike  
Whe have now version 2.4.1 .. it has not been implemented yet ?
Mike  
Mark is this implemantation still planned in future version or not ?
Mark  
already added to pool of feature but it's not high priority. Member can print using print option from web browsers.
Mike  
Mark sorry to say this but hey moosocial is absolute not printer friendly !
Chrome and firefox, no page of this site is displayed correctly in print view

ketkew  
Try landscape.. it's a litttttle bit better
Mike  
just a little then lol ... too bad because if I understood correctly what Eddie said it is not complicated to implement: /
"All done with a little CSS jQuery. Only 20 lines of code with the watermark logo"
Mark  
yes but we have to apply for all plugins. Should not print the whole site like that, go to a blog or topic and try to print, it's not too bad.
Mike  
"There is no need to change or edit any plug-ins. Very simple code to add."
in fact I had relaunch the subject because I thought it was a thing made in two minutes for entire site lol, but if it is not the case it is true that there is more urgent priority level
No login
Login or register to post your comment
Cookies on mooCommunity - Social Networking Script.
This site uses cookies to store your information on your computer.