I have serious doubts over Cometchat

Hey guys, 

Am I the only one frustrated with Cometchat? 

My team have been working with Cometchat team non stop on fixing bugs since last year. One thing fixed, another broken.  

We have concluded that Cometchat design is very flawed, at least for its current version. How do we arrive at this conclusion?

If you are chatting with someone, switching from desktop to mobile, do you expect the 2 devices not to be in synch?

Facebook Messenger, Whatsapp, Telegram, Signal, Line, ICQ, Skype, Google Hangout, Zoom... all should be in synch, correct?

Not for Cometchat.

For example, if you sent a message to your friend A on desktop, and wanted to continue the conversation on a mobile device. You should expect that none of the things sent through desktop appears on Mobile. 

Or, your friend just sent you a message. Your Cometchat mobile app rings you an alert. You click on the alert. The Cometchat mobile app opens a totally blank page. You do not see that message on mobile. This is known by many Cometchat users as "Ghost Alert". Oh, you can find the message if you log into your desktop Cometchat console. 

By the way, if you are using Android app for Cometchat, expect you lose many of the messages. 

The list goes on and on.

I talked to Cometchat team who told me the problems are "features by design".

Guys, the reality is it is very hard for a niche player like Cometchat to compete against mature chat apps. Chat apps are utilities in the cloud these days. Why get stuck with Cometchat? 

I suggest MooSocial help us integrate with one of the 3 alternatives:

1) Telegram. Telegram is in the cloud. This is its API documentation.

Telegram is one of the most secure and mature chat apps. Its user experience superior. Excellent security features. For example, a user can set it up so his or her message disappears in 30 minutes or 12 hours.

I found Telegram more pleasant than Facebook Messenger in many ways.

Telegram has several hundred million users. Most of them are members of niche little communities who do not like to be in Facebook. Here we have a perfect match with MooSocial, niche communities who do not want to be part of Facebook.

And Telegram's User Interface is superb. 

2) Zoom
Zoom is cloud based and offers second to none video conferencing capability. 

3) Signal
Signal is the least mature of the 3. It is however a quantum leap compared to Cometchat. 

Signal is interesting because it is evolving very fast with an open mentality.

Here is its API documentation

We have been using Cometchat for 1 year. It is becoming a sore spot. We feel embarrassed to discuss our solution with our users as so many will tell us Cometchat is far inferior than Facebook. It is always way behind Facebook Messenger with many unexpected bugs. And to be honest, it is very hard for these niche emulators like Cometchat to compete. 

We need to set ourselves free from Cometchat.

MooSocial, please help.

Jing

Posted in Feature Suggestions on 08/02/17 at 01:22
Comments (9)
ketkew  
yep.. im also done with cometchat. For my current domain I will not use the Android app anymore and stick to the desktop client for a while (I paid $500 for it... ). For my new .com community im gonna use mooChat or something what you advise here.
Jing Gu  
Ket, try Telegram and Signal. You will see what I am saying. Telegram's user interface is beautiful. Telegram is home to many people who do not like Facebook but need a community. It will be a perfect match for MooSocial.
Jing Gu  
Go to Wikipedia, try Telegram Messenger and Open Whisper Systems (Signal) The latter is not as slick when it comes to UI. But its security is endorsed by Edward Snowden. Telegram is built by 2 Russian Jewish brothers. They openly challenge Putin. So far no one could break into Telegram.
Jing Gu  
Both have superb mobile apps in IOS and Google Play stores.
ketkew  
I know both.. Im using signal with my friends @home. But.. still a client for moo has to be developed something what I expect isnt quickly arranged?
Jing Gu  
i am wondering if MooSocial should ditch Cometchat and go for a Signal or Telegram client. Look, Cometchat is a lost cause. We would be spending endless hours on bug fixes. Telegram and Signal are bug free.
ketkew  
I agree, but Cometchat is not moo. CometChat integrated mooSocial by creating an integrate.php file which is the bridge to mooSocial. Any developer can do that
Tleeann  
I don't know. I have had little issues but nothing like what you are describing, yes if I switch to mobile I need to refresh the page for the messages I just typed on computer to show up. I had signal for a bit personally but ended up deleting it no one I knew used it and I didn't need the fake security.
ketkew  
I didnt update cometchat for 1 month.. look at how much mess they try to fix you really become scary if you read the change logs..
No login
Login or register to post your comment
Cookies on mooCommunity - Social Networking Script.
This site uses cookies to store your information on your computer.