What Are The Alternatives To Cometchat

Hi,

We need your help to find an alternative to Cometchat, which has been an unmitigated disaster. 

1) Very poor quality

In 2017, our users experienced difficulties to use the app for close to 6 months so far. 

The problems include inability to login or the App crashes immediately upon launch.

2) Upgrade = Disaster

Our users can not login again in Oct.

After "researching" for 3 weeks (during which none of our users could sign in from the mobile app), Cometchat team replied that the issue was caused by an "upgrade" of their platform.

To solve the problem, we are asked to pay for 79 dollars to recompile the apps, which is another upgrade.

And by the way, all custom works will be lost in this upgrade. 

By the way, each Cometchat upgrade in 2017 resulted in some form of glitch that would make the app not usable for at least a few weeks.

3) Ridiculous user experience

For example, User A is chatting with User B.

- When A texts B, the message will not show in A's device or console until like 2-3 seconds later he hits send. The text will appear to have disappeared into a blankness.

Cometchat informed us that this is by design. A shall see his own message, only after it is first saved into the Cometchat server to make the system more "efficient".

- If A had been chatting with B for 10 minutes, then switched to a different device, he would not see his first 10 min conversation in the second device.

So he could feel entirely disconnected and lost in his own conversation.

This was also by Cometchat design to make it more "efficient".

No other chat apps do this, Facebook, Whatsapp, Telegram, Viber, WeChat, Signal, Allo... you name it.

To make user experience on par with other chat apps, we paid Cometchat hundreds of dollars to customize.

Of course, all these will be lost, in their upcoming "upgrade" to solve our problem caused by their upgrade.

To address this odd user experience? pay again.

A show stopper will take Cometchat 2 weeks to respond. Time to solve the problem (assuming nothing broken in the process) ranges from 4 weeks to a few months. 

From March to Aug, none of our users could use the app, despite me spending 1 hour each night talking to Cometchat team who kept promising issues will be resolved soon.

To survive, we have to find a replacement solution.

Does anyone have any experience with Arrowchat?

What are other alternatives?

What about the user experience?

Many thanks in advance.

Jing
Posted in General Discussion on 11/24/17 at 19:06
Comments (9)
Simple: mooChat

Not as feature-rich as cometchat (I had cometchat platinum version for years, same issues as you explained) but what good are all the wonderful features IF THE SYSTEM AS A WHOLE SUCKS?

Yeah, took the mooTeam a little bit of time and debugging to get mooChat to work well, but all in all, turns out I'm getting no more complaints from members about chat. It simply works.

I have searched for an alternative chat system for a long time, there really isn't anything else out there. So...  more
Jing Gu  
Mike, thank you!

This really helps.

What MooChat needs now is a mobile version. I just learned that it is already on the road map.

If the system is stable, then basic features will suffice.

We did a side by side comparison between FB Messenger and Twitter messenger. To be frank, if the strategy is only to provide basic functions but to do it well, then Twitter design is actually more streamlined and easier to use than FB Messenger.

I attached my Twitter chat/private message screenshot. It ...  more
Jing Gu  
In fact, instead of emulating everything after FB, with its stability, it wil be very cool if MooChat mobile could function more like WeChat, Whatsapp, Telegram, Signal, and in its UI design borrow a page from Twitter.

A dream user experience for me would be chat becomes a place for groups to have ongoing discussions.

This will have very obvious benefits. 1) it is a much simpler and practical user experience. Users do not have to log in and out of different applications. 2) If will simplify u...  more
Mike  
oh well "have new modules that will replace old modules" i hope newers..and if developpement plan go in this direction please let us know immediatly ..
the strength of moosocial it's light and the fact that there are not 150 options per module, that the presention is simple, if you want a gas plant there phpfox for that.
If we start to replace all other modules it is no longer moosocial, add yes, replace no !
Be careful with ArrowChat. 91% of the 11 reviews on this site TrustPilot disapprove it, while CometChat "only" 71% disapprove it. Did you guys tried mooChat for text only? Video/Audio Chat is coming soon too. Mark told me that more than 50% of it is done... That is a good news for us. Isn't it?
Robert  
the moo chat is good and be better when they add video
I agree. mooChat is not perfect, but it IS far better than any other alternative on the market right now.
Mark  
We're working on video chat now Rob Dehaven
Jing Gu  
Jay, yes it is. Mark, thank you.

Jay, you crack me up. Your report presents a very sad picture. Cometchat is "better" because "only" 71% of the users disapprove it. Arrowchat got 91% disapproval rating.

That is really amazing achievement for these 2 chat solution providers.
No login
Login or register to post your comment
Cookies on mooCommunity - Social Networking Script.
This site uses cookies to store your information on your computer.