Who Near Me is suppose to show users on an app how far away other members are, and who is close by. The way it is currently coded, it fails to do this.
Members on an app are allowed to choose "not to be shown on the map" which removes them from the list entirely. MOST members will not want to "be shown on a map" so they will select not to be shown. This means that I could have 100 users using Who Near Me trying to see how far other members are from them, but only 10 on the list making it look like no one uses it at all. This degrades the plugin.
Next, "the map" is a horrible idea if admin can not disable it and use only List View. Being shown on a map, especially a social app where some people may want to talk and others may want to ignore you, is a recipe for disaster. People can be jealous crazy psychos that will track the person down that is ignoring them, stalk them, and maybe worse. Especially in USA where people seem to have lost ALL common sense and morality.
Lastly, users on an app should be auto added into Who Near Me for it to function like it should. When someone uses a thing like Who Near Me, they should get a full list of all members for it to work. The members that are within the search distance would be showed. Or maybe a preset distance search set by admin allowing for greater distances to start but limiting the search results to the first 50 people UNLESS the user chooses to look in a different location to search.
I know that MooSocial knows how to do this already, because the issue was brought up last year, but instead of improving the over all plugin they decide to do it on a per user basis and charge them extra. This isn't good because it will cause more members to just give up when they can't afford the price tag of a function-able app.
I myself may pay the extra fee soon because I have put too much money into the app idea I had, to risk members of my app leaving because they do not like how it works. But the plugin itself should be updated to add these features that would make it what it should be anyway.

Comments (32)
Mike  
openstremap
letlef
ip location etc etc ..
Fortunately there is another option, if the world has to bend it in front of google we would not be in shit lol

Mark said that after 3.1 they will take time to see if openstreet map is adaptable here.

Between us I do not see why it would not be seen as it is adaptable in all script, ok this requires work, but it was necessary to be reflected before or ask the opinion of the people before going with google.

Today we are at a dead end, either we take ...  more
Mike  
https://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=6/46.449/2.210
https://nordicapis.com/5-powerful-alternatives-to-google-maps-api/ <- openlayer

at code canyon I read this in a 69 dollars script
"Now the locations are stored for free from leaflet and now its not required a premium Google API key. (very good and useful)"

etc etc etc, if you need more information just go ..google :p and type "alternative to google api" you wild find a lot of solution

Mark  
4) for web, Integrate with ip traking to auto get location instead of asking them to enter manually. This improvement will free us from Google maps
-> you meant get address from IP address right? If yes, we can use free api but we're not sure that when the api will be taken down. It's not stable. If you're serious to create a site, I don't recommend to use all free services.

We will look into the openstreet map for sure and hope that it can be replaced google api.
Mark  
So #2 would disable the map, but the list would still work.

-> Yes, it's but do you think it does make sense if member show address in member profile? I can get the address and then find the location on google map? I think we may need option for member to show location info or not?
Mark I definitely agree. I think the only thing that should be viewable by other members would be distance. Example: “ Mark - 3,000 miles away. “

Then they could choose to hide the distance, but they would still be listed in the “List” relative to the distance they are from another. A great example is the app “Grindr”. It’s a horrible disgusting app, but they use the distance feature perfectly how they do it.

I don’t think a members address should ever be displayed to other members. It’s simp...  more
Mark  
I see, will implement follow that.

Michel just spent a few hrs to look into the openstreet map's api. It looks really good. Will start working on it right after the 3.1.1 is released.
Mark  
changed status of the feedback to "accepted"
Mike  
waouhhh waouhhh waouhhh This is really a great news !!

Thank you for spendind time to look at this question seriously,
I am glad that you reach this conclusion, not only for me, also for others and for the future of moo.

Oh lalala it's March 31 and it's not an April Fool, what a beautiful day lol, thank you, thank you, and thank you Mark
Mike  
ketkew yes it's grea we will be half free from google, half because I realized that I forgot the story of video links with youtbe, will have to remake another topic the other one has been removed by daniel
ketkew  
You mean, sharing youtube videos without using api?
Mike  
yes absolute, in newsfeed, video plugin and elsewhere who can post video.
It's a pity we lost some interesting information in the other subject.
I do not know if you get answer to your question which was, I think, "is the API essential for posting videos with moo app?"
No login
Login or register to post your comment
Cookies on mooCommunity - Social Networking Script.
This site uses cookies to store your information on your computer.