This is more of an idea for other users, than a request for a modification - though a cleaner way of doing things would be nice.

In short, I want to be able to offer a certain region-specific information (eg: helplines) on the platform. At the moment, I am not aware of a conventional way to do this, but I think I have found a workaround providing you have the ad plugin enabled AND have enabled it to be country specific.

Create a new advert placement called (for example) "Helpline by country", and select either HTML or Image (if you have a simple large image to display instead of needing any text.

Create a page (perhaps just the centre column) and into this place a single advert widget set to the placement you created for the country-specific helpline.

The advert however is not a true advert as such, but simply allows one of the "helpline" adverts to be displayed. Each advert has the country(s) in question set - so the widget can only load the "advert" (helpline text and graphics) that is appropriate.

You might want to use a unique email address for this, so the system does not bother you with potentially dozens of "advert reports" for each version of the helpline (in this example).

The only slight oddity, is that although only the Country has the red asterisk, it seems the user DOES have to enter at least something (a space will do), for the rest of the address. Would be good if there was an option so only the Country was mandatory.

There might be a nicer way of doing this, but after trying to see how else to do it, this seems the easiest way forward.

I am not sure if an auto re-direct might also be enabled using this method - which would make for a very powerful tool - a way to load an external page based on the users location (and optionally gender and age as these too are part of the advert selectivity).

Happy to clarify anything if anyone is interested but confused with what I am trying to explain.

Comments (0)
No login
Login or register to post your comment
Cookies on mooCommunity - Social Networking Script.
This site uses cookies to store your information on your computer.