Google increases prices of Google Maps API

Starting on June 21, 2018, all projects using Google Maps need to https://developers.google.com/places/web-service/usage-and-billing?dialogOnLoad%3Dbilling-enabled" target="_blank" rel="noopener">enable billing with a credit card and need to have a valid API key for all projects. From 18 individual APIs, Google simplified to 3 core products – Maps, Routes and Places – and Standard and Premium plans were merged in one pay-as-you go pricing plan.

Please see more details at below links and make sure that you "Enable billing" so that all mooSocial features that linked with google api call will work well.

Note: the above changes only apply for new registered api key. If you have valid api key and it's working well (not over api call limitations), do not need to enable billing. 

After enable billing,  you can set usage limits to protect against unexpected cost increases
Posted in General Discussion on 10/12/18 at 04:38
Comments (10)
Mike  
very useful thank you
Mike  
Well ..

Act 1, for years google kindly allowed us to use these services free of charge
Act 2 He enlisted thousands of local google trotter who were all happy to fill in the cards of various businesses they frequented
Act 3 Google drops the mask

And in 2 or 3 years ? Monthly subscription for all basic service?

It's time to limit the breakage ...
I had not followed too much this news I was busy with something else but now I had the time and well, I went through the different scripts, read st...  more
Eric  
then the developer of moosocial should think about alternative to build a way so that the customer has the possibility to choose several for map to choose from such as google, bing and so on

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/maps/choose-your-bing-maps-api
ketkew  
And that's one of the reasons I don't use the services of those BIG networks
Use open street maps!
Mike  
open street maps is a good choice

Or use one other solution, just pass it from show map display directly to site.
It's sem simply to do because code is already present in moosocial.
I don't have install a google API on my site yet ,when I view an event I have a link "show map" that opens a pop up with a mini map.
Is it possible that instead of opening a popup this link directly go to url on google maps ?
Do you need a google api acount to do that ?

exemple in socialengine
https://demo.socia...  more
Mark  
Is it possible that instead of opening a popup this link directly go to url on google maps ?
-> it's simple to update only for events, for other paid plugins such as people near by....we have to use api.
Mike  
But what you thing about add alternative api ? It's something conceivable in future ?
Of course I have no idea what it means to work in moo and plugins

-> it's simple to update only for events
It would be nice to have this choice in plugin configuration (and in coming event manager) because there are people who will no longer use google's api in this way, and as map options in plugin remain active even without using google id, it's best that it redirects to something clean

-> it's simple...  more
No login
Login or register to post your comment
Cookies on mooCommunity - Social Networking Script.
This site uses cookies to store your information on your computer.